Lluc, spiritual heart of Mallorca
The Lluc Sanctuary has been a place of pilgrimage since time immemorial, and its name comes from lucus, which means ‘sacred wood’. According to legend the small, dark image of the Virgin of Lluc was found by a shepherd and a monk amongst the rocks. It was immediately taken to the old parish church of Sant Pere, but returned to the it had been found in of its own accord - a miraculous event which occurred several times, until eventually a chapel was erected next to the place where it was found.
The chapel dates back to 1268, and around it an architectural complex was built which in time became a centre of pilgrimage, a religious symbol and cultural standard of Mallorca. The present-day church was completed in 1691. One outstanding element is the Blauets schola cantorum, a permanent children’s choir. During matins one of them performs the Cant de la Sibil·la, one of the most emblematic midnight mass performances on the island.
Today the sanctuary has an inn, around which are bars, restaurants, a recreational area set in the midst of a holm-oak grove and Ca s'Amitger, the interpretation centre of the Serra de Tramuntana mountain range.